Part of the CAMH Healthy Aging Project, Improving Our Response provides the information, tools and guidance that service providers need to work more effectively with older adults who may have substance use, mental health or gambling problems. With a foreword by geriatric psychiatrist Benoit Mulsant.
This comprehensive resource includes:
- an overview of alcohol use, anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia, tobacco use and other problems as they appear in older adults
- a selection of screening tools that can be used to help identify problems • practical guidance on building a relationship, adopting a holistic approach and advocacy for older adults
- an introduction to the recovery, harm reduction and stages of change models as guiding principles of care
- ways to guide and support staff, families and others who care for older adults with these problems
- information on referring to specialized addiction and mental health treatment services
- case studies and practical strategies for complex situations
- information sheets for older adults and their families on substance use, mental health and gambling.
This guide is for professionals who work with older adults, including nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, educators and management staff in community support services, retirement and long-term care homes. The guide is also a useful resource for mental health and addiction treatment providers.