Beyond the Label is a compilation of resources focused on the stigma (prejudice and discrimination) associated with having concurrent mental health and substance use problems.
The purpose of the binder is to provide a framework for people who provide mental health and substance use services to examine their own prejudices or misconceptions—and to use the teaching tools in the kit to reach a variety of other relevant audiences. A CD of digital handouts is included in the binder.
This educational resource includes activities that:
- emphasize the impact of negative attitudes and beliefs on people with concurrent mental health and substance use problems
- highlight facts and dispel myths about concurrent disorders
- present positive stories showing people who have experienced concurrent mental health and substance use problems contributing to society
- present solution-focused approaches
- support addiction and mental health workers in their efforts to eliminate prejudice and discrimination against people with mental health and substance use problems.