Strengthening Families for the Future is a prevention program for families with children between the ages of seven and 11 who may be at risk for substance use problems, depression, violence, delinquency and school failure. Strengthening Families is effective because it involves the whole family. The goals of the program are to:
- reduce children’s or adolescents’ intention to use alcohol and/or other drugs, and reduce other behaviour problems
- increase children’s resilience and life skills
- increase positive and effective parenting
- increase family communication.
The Strengthening Families resource includes:
- everything you need to know to start a program and to keep families coming back—sample consent forms, promotional materials, job descriptions and more
- outlines for 14 parent, child and family sessions, complete with background information for facilitators, session objectives, presentation scripts and handouts for participants (in English and French).
Although the resource is a complete “how to” guide, training and program consultation is available from your local CAMH consultant.