This brochure will help parents begin talking to children about psychosis, in language that is geared to the child's age. It raises and answers the most common questions children have when their parent has psychotic symptoms, which can occur in a number of illnesses (including schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, major depression and post- traumatic stress disorder).
Answers to the following questions kids commonly have are included in the brochure:
- What is psychosis?
- When and how does psychosis start?
- Can my mom or dad’s psychosis ever be fixed?
- How can my mom or dad get better?
- Is there anything I can do to make my mom or dad better?
- What if my mom or dad has to go to hospital? What happens there?
- What if my mom or dad is too sick to look after me?
- What do I tell kids at school? Will they think bad things about my family?
- Will it happen to me? Will I get it too?
- What should I do if I’m scared? What can I do when I’m really worried about my mom or dad?