When a parent has depression, children’s questions can be especially difficult to answer. This brochure will prepare parents and other adults to take the first step in talking to children about this kind of mental health disorder. It provides clear and direct answers to the most common questions children have when a parent has depression.
Answers to the following questions kids commonly have are included in the brochure:
- What is depression? How does depression work?
- Why does my dad act the way he does? How does it feel to be depressed? What goes on in my mom’s head when she’s not herself?
- What causes depression? How does it start?
- Will the depression ever be fixed?
- How can my mom or dad get better?
- Is there anything I can do to make my mom or dad better?
- Will it happen to me? Will I get it too?
- Is there anything I can do so that I don’t get depression?
- Can parents give it to other people? Is it like a cold? Can you catch depress