Finding your way around the mental health system can be confusing, frustrating, scary -- and difficult. Written in easy-to-understand language, Challenges & Choices gives practical information about mental health services in Ontario and how to find them. You could be looking for services for yourself or for a family member, partner or friend. Or you could be a health care provider who wants to help clients and families find out about different services and how to use them.
Inside you will find the following valuable information:
- a description of the most common types of mental health problems
- tips that will help you find the services you need
- contact information to research a specific problem or treatment in more detail
- information about the services available -- from community support to hospital treatment
- a description of a range of treatment options -- from natural healing to medication
- the roles and functions of health care and social service providers such as doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses and social workers
- a summary of mental health laws, so that you will know your rights and how to make the best use of the system.
A health care provider may choose to use this book as a reference guide for clients or to have copies available in the waiting room. The size and format make it easy to photocopy sections for clients and their families.