A person with a mental health problem has a higher risk of having a substance use problem, just as a person with a substance use problem has an increased chance of having a mental health problem.
- explains the symptoms and causes of concurrent disorders
- outlines the different kinds of treatments available, including psychosocial and biological treatments
- describes integrated treatment and how it helps
- discusses recovery and relapse prevention
- discusses family involvement
- gives guidance on how to explain concurrent disorders to children
This guide gives a thorough introduction to concurrent disorder treatment options, and sensitive and sound coping skills to help people with concurrent disorders -- and their families -- toward recovery.