For many women, choosing to go into therapy to deal with a past traumatic event is a huge step. It takes a lot of time, money and emotional energy. Women, Abuse and Trauma Therapy is for women who are in therapy to deal with the long-term effects of abuse and violence, or who are looking for a therapist.
This straightforward and sensitive guide:
- helps women understand abuse-related trauma and post-traumatic stress
- explains the trauma therapy model, the three stages of treatment, and different treatment approaches
- gives guidance on choosing the right therapist and developing a collaborative alliance with him or her that is healthy and safe
- describes how family and friends can help
- gives information on relevant books, resources and available services
- helps women feel more confident about seeking help and more in control of their healing process